What is the novel coronavirus (COVID-19)?
- Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that originate in animals but are known to cause respiratory illness in humans, particularly during the fall and winter months.
What are the symptoms of COVID-19?
- The symptoms of COVID-19 are similar to other respiratory infections, such as influenza, and include things like:
- Difficulty breathing
- Your risk of experiencing severe symptoms is higher if you have a weakened immune system. This may be the case for:
- Older people
- People with chronic disease (for example, diabetes, cancer, heart, renal or chronic lung disease)
What should I do if I am feeling sick or concerned I may have exposed myself to COVID-19?
- If you have flu-like symptoms and/or have travelled outside of Canada in the last 14 days (or had close contact with someone who is sick), you should FIRST CALL your doctor at Centro Health (905-605-9509), Telehealth Ontario (1-866-797-0000), or contact your local public health unit (1-800-361-5653).
What is the treatment for COVID-19?
- Currently, there is no specific treatment for COVID-19. Most people will recover on their own by drinking plenty of fluids, resting as much as possible, and using a humidifier or hot shower to help with a sore throat or cough.
What can I do to protect myself from contracting COVID-19 and help prevent its spread to others?
- Wash your hands with soap frequently and thoroughly for at least 20 seconds.
- Instructional video: https://youtu.be/IisgnbMfKvI
- Clean and disinfect common surfaces that a lot of people touch.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with your hands.
- Cough and sneeze into your upper sleeve or the bend of your arm, not into your hand.
- Avoid contact with people who are sick and stay home from work or social engagements when you are ill.
- Don’t wear a mask unless you are sick.
- As of March 13, 2020, Canada’s Chief Public Health Officer and Ontario’s Chief Medical Officer of Health have advised against all non-essential travel.
1) OMA. “COVID-19. What you need to know”. https://www.virusfacts.ca/
3) York Region Public Health. https://www.york.ca/wps/portal/yorkhome/health/yr/infectiousdiseasesandprevention/covid19/covid19/!ut/p/z1/jZDfT4MwEMf_Fh94lB6Mjc63ijrKtmBi3LAvpoMOMKwlLYPEv95Ol5glit7D5e7yuR_fQwxliEne1yXvaiV5Y_MXNnulZEHjeAlJGuAICKQk8UMM93MPbT8B-MUIIPaf_hGAjY9P_lpgFfh6Ha1LxFreVde13CuUWS9yq_FoitoIboThsmi16IU8KUdZrvq68ObfwRaxy1WLJxwA3SQh2XgpBHRyBnw_mMVeBAnEKQb6ED5O73DswdI_A-Nqykbtvh5P5G6C7dla7IUW2j1qW666rjU3DjgwDINbKlU2ws3VwYGfWiplOpRdkqg9PGfvq9s5fZs2_YpcfQDml0gV/dz/d5/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/#.Xm0xZahKjIV